Areas of Practice
Joel is an experienced litigator with a commitment to results. Joel joined Hammerco after spending five years working for a large insurance defence firm.
Joel leverages his experience and knowledge of the insurance defence side to his client’s tactical advantage. He is a highly focused advocate for people who need strategic, yet straightforward advice.
Joel is a passionate advocate for cycling safety. He has represented countless cyclists in injury claims, and is committed to providing legal advice tailored to the cycling community.
- Admitted to the Bar of British Columbia, 2001
- LLB, University of Victoria, 2000
- BA, The University of British Columbia, 1995
Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia
- Lecturer, Assessment and Management of Sports Injuries in Cycling, UBC Medicine, 2019
- Chair, Essential Issues in Personal Injury Conference, 2015
- Joel is a regular commentator on cycling and the law.
- Cyclists concerned about proposed ICBC changes
CTV News | February 8, 2020
- Cyclist and lawyer say no fault-style ICBC model could be dangerous
Global News | February 9, 2020
- ICBC’s move to no fault-style insurance could be especially harmful for cyclists: lawyer
Omny.fm | February 10, 2020
- Is ICBC’s new policy good news for British Columbians?
BCIT News | February 13, 2020
- Joel is an avid cyclist. He is committed to the development of a national cycling infrastructure and improvements in urban active transportation.
- Joel is a director of the B.C. Cycling Coalition and the founder of The Cycling Lawyer.